Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New York City Could Soon Allow Non-Citizens To Vote In Citywide Elections

NYC Gives $10K In Cash, Luxury Housing and Voting Rights To Migrants.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXKyGQaYS50
    {Nate The Lawyer | 25 February 2024}

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

NY City Council asks NY State Supreme Court to allow "non-citizen" voting.

NYC council asks state’s highest court to allow non-citizens to vote in local elections.

The New York City Council asked the state’s highest court to strike down a pair of rulings in a move that would pave the way for noncitizen immigrants to vote in city elections.

The controversial election change, passed by the City Council in late 2021 and signed into law by then-Mayor Bill de Blasio, would have allowed 800,000 noncitizens with green cards to vote but was struck down as unconstitutional last month by an appellate court.

The council has argued that noncitizens here legally should be able to vote since they pay taxes and make contributions to their community.

News of the appeal comes just hours after advocates rallied outside City Hall in an attempt to gain support for the initiative from the mayor’s office and others in the Big Apple.

“Republicans think they can use the courts to disempower immigrant communities, and communities of color, from voting,” Taina Wagnac, a senior manager at the New York Immigration Coalition, said at the rally. “We have a chance for justice as we move forward with an appeal.”
    "An idea whose time has come cannot be stopped by any army or any government" - Ron Paul.

"To learn who rules over you simply find out who you arent allowed to criticize."

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Say @PAF, I'm not really an advocate of this "voting" stuff, and I know you aren't either. But I came through the government education machine when I was young, and I recall a lot of lip service being paid to the concept of "no taxation without representation"(the founders where evidently obsessed with that concept). So, following that concept, it strikes me that if you own a residence in Massachusetts and a vacation home in New Hampshire, and you pay property taxes on both properties, then you ought to have a single vote for representation in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire state and local governments. Likewise, if you pay sales taxes (or any of the other taxes levied within a jurisdiction) then you ought to be able to vote for government representation within that jurisdiction; regardless of whether you're a French or Mexican citizen passing through that jurisdiction or a resident of that jurisdiction. What's peculiar about that is that because the US doesn't have direct elections for President and Vice President, then I ought to be able to vote for electors for choosing the Pres and VP in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

This voting stuff has always seemed a bit confusing to me.
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you post to the internet can and will be used to humiliate you.

Quote Originally Posted by Voluntarist View Post
    Say @PAF, I'm not really an advocate of this "voting" stuff, and I know you aren't either. But I came through the government education machine when I was young, and I recall a lot of lip service being paid to the concept of "no taxation without representation"(the founders where evidently obsessed with that concept). So, following that concept, it strikes me that if you own a residence in Massachusetts and a vacation home in New Hampshire, and you pay property taxes on both properties, then you ought to have a single vote for representation in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire state and local governments. Likewise, if you pay sales taxes (or any of the other taxes levied within a jurisdiction) then you ought to be able to vote for government representation within that jurisdiction; regardless of whether you're a French or Mexican citizen passing through that jurisdiction or a resident of that jurisdiction. What's peculiar about that is that because the US doesn't have direct elections for President and Vice President, then I ought to be able to vote for electors for choosing the Pres and VP in both Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

This voting stuff has always seemed a bit confusing to me.

Can I take the easy way out and provide links?

Throughout the nation, citizens can only register and vote in one jurisdiction for federal elections.

Local elections can be a different matter. Eleven states have statutes that permit nonresidents, such as second-home owners or business owners, to vote in local, municipal, and/or special district elections such as irrigation, water, sewer and conservancy districts.

Continue:

https://www.ncsl.org/elections-and-c...y-nonresidents

Can You Be a Resident of Two States? Understanding the Legal and Financial Implications

What if we own homes in two states and split our time equally between them? Do we have to pay taxes in both states when we only earned income in one state?

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Can noncitizens vote in U.S. elections?

Federal law bans noncitizens from voting in federal elections, including races for president, vice president, Senate or House of Representatives.

The 1996 law states that noncitizens who vote illegally will face a fine, imprisonment or both. Noncitizens who cast a ballot and get caught may also face deportation.

When people in the U.S. register to vote, they confirm under penalty of perjury that they are U.S. citizens. Several states also verify that registration against federal and state databases.

Some politicians and pundits have raised alarm that noncitizens could be voting illegally in high numbers. Studies show this isn’t happening, according to Ron Hayduk, a political science professor at San Francisco State University who studies noncitizen voting laws.

While there have been anecdotal reports of noncitizens registering and casting ballots, “the incidence of such occurrences is infinitesimal,” Hayduk said.

Research by the Brennan Center for Justice in 2017 looked at 42 jurisdictions in the 2016 election, and reported that of 23.5 million votes cast, election officials only found about 30 cases of potential noncitizen voting that they referred for prosecution or further investigation.

More recent investigations also haven’t shown proof of widespread noncitizen voting. A Georgia audit of its voter rolls conducted this year found fewer than 2,000 instances of noncitizens attempting to register to vote over the last 25 years, none of which succeeded. Millions of new Georgia voters registered during that time period.

Federal law doesn’t stop states or municipalities from granting noncitizens the right to vote in local races — and a handful have, including 11 towns in Maryland and two in Vermont. New York City this year passed a law that would allow legally documented noncitizens and “Dreamers” to vote for mayor and other elected officials, but a judge blocked the move in June.

https://apnews.com/article/2022-midt...6812dc717906e5

____

Also see:

Laws permitting noncitizens to vote in the United States
    Last edited by PAF; 03-25-2024 at 10:26 PM.

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12